Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Making Relationship Deposits

    For the past couple of days I've been working really hard on making deposits in my 3yr old's emotional piggy bank.  Now you are probably asking, what in the world is she talking about?  It's a new way  helping your child grow emotionally and socially.  You think of making "deposits" as the kind words, word of encouragement, or compliments that you pay to your child. Then of course "withdrawals" are negative comments to the child.  I have been really trying to pay attention to how many deposits that I've made in the past few days. I was surprised to find that he was making more deposits to me than I was to him! Well now that can't be right can it?  Of course it can! Sometimes we are just so busy as parents that we forget to slow down and make those deposits. Oh of course we say that we love them, hug them, etc but sometimes it's those extra deposits that make all the difference! So how many deposits have YOU made today? This not only applies to your children but the other people that you come in contact with too. If you would like to read more about this, I've placed a links at the bottom to CSEFEL's main web page plus a link to the pdf for an excellent article on this. ENJOY!
http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/index.html
http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/modules/module1/handout5.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment